Unfortunately the waders near the end of this season have been just slowly wetting my socks. The left wader finally got so bad that it immediately soaked my sock just stepping into the water. I looked for a seam that might be blown out and eventually using an old trick found an actual hole in the toe. More about that shortly.
At first I thought maybe I would just try and reseal everything up again with the old superglue. One thing that I noticed about using superglue though was that it would eventually crack and flake. What I really needed was a rubberized substance that I could apply to the seams. I remembered a product that I had seen at the hardware store used for resealing leaky gutters and such. Then I also remembered a product used for dipping tool handles into that created a rubberized grip. With a little on line research I found Plasti-Dip by Performix was also now available in an aerosol spray. Basically a spray on rubberized sealer! This product seems to have sealed my seams dare I say better than manufacturer's standards.
Patching and Sealing Pointers
1. Clean all surfaces
Sometimes just cleaning the surfaces of your waders will reveal where the leaks are likely coming from. For sure you will want your surfaces to be clean before applying the Plasit-Dip. Using a soap and water mixture and a small soft bristle brush remove any dirty build up.
4. Filling in the toe hole.
The toe hole in the neoprene was fortunately not a "gaping hole" but was instead the kind of hole that was just starting to wear through. I would think that if it was a gaping hole you would need to apply some cloth tape as a patch to the hole and then apply the sealant over the top of this. I hung my waders from hooks on my back patio. Outdoors or in a well ventilated area is where you want to safely spray the product. I again applied the rubberized spray in light coats letting each coat dry before applying the next. The result was a slowly built up blob of rubberized paint over the hole.
5. Sealing up your seams better than the factory.
I was so impressed with the results that I decided that I would go ahead and reinforce all of the seams in the neoprene sock portions of the waders. Again hanging the waders from hooks I was able to spray the suspended waders with the spray directly onto the seams. The seams seemed to suck up the rubberized paint and after 2 coats I could see they were really sealed. There were some places that the sealing tape had already started to come up on. I applied a heavier coat over these and let the Plasti-Dip fill in the gaps. As per the instructions I let the painted areas dry and cure completely.
Plasti-Dip rocks for these kinds of repairs and their website shows that it can be used in lots of interesting ways on other items. It is strong, rubberized and seals watertight. I am happy with the results and will be looking at other products put out by this company. I am ready to hit the water again and won't have wet socks to contend with. I hope that you find this hack very helpful.
Tags: #Plasti-Dip #plastidip #waders #repair #sprayonrubber #tenkaraPath #howto #waderrepair #hack #seal #waterproof #betterthannew